Enfield’s Equals Employment team have licensed PhotoRoutes toolkit to provide employment opportunities for people with learning disabilities.
Equals work with adults and young people with learning disabilities who are 16 + and transitioning into the job market in Enfield. Training in map creation skills of PhotoRoute is a prerequisite for potential employees, included in the easy-to-start program. Trainees are guided through the route making process by one of our specialists.
They plan a map route together, gathering the photographs and inputting the information into the online tool via computer.
The training provides an opportunity for trainees to experience using the software before applying for a job to be employees within this new social enterprise that provides PhotoRoute maps to local businesses and local authority services. Enabled City will supply ongoing support and administration services, such as payroll for the employees.
Shirley-Anne Wheeler, Manager Equals Employment
Feedback from trainees has been very positive and we’ve seen confidence grow with individuals, all would like to apply for a job to provide inclusive way-finding services for the wider population. Their local knowledge has identified services such as leisure centers, job centers, parks, tourism and health facilities (especially as many people receiving health services will be new to disablement) needed for PhotoRoute mapping opportunities.
PhotoRoute is a brilliant opportunity for people to bring their skill sets together, they can collaborate in teams or create maps individually..
Equals work with people who want to get a job and:
- Help people to understand what they can do
- Help to make a work portfolio – this includes CV & references
- Help people to get training so that they can get a job that they want
- Help people to get work experience
What they do:
- Talk to employers about giving someone with a learning disability a job
- Help employers to make interviews more appropriate for someone with learning disabilities
- Give support to people once they have a job
- Give support to employers to help someone with Learning Disabilities in the workplace
- Help people to look for jobs
- Help people to apply for jobs
- Help people with interviews
firstname.lastname@example.org or follow this link for more PhotRoute case studies
Read about Tottenham Hotspur grassroots participation project.
How this work fits into larger local picture.