For an average business disabled people may account for up to 20% of all customers 1
- Which groups benefit from having Word-Bank?
- Does it help with Equality Act compliance?
- How accessible is Word-Bank?
- What’s the user experience?
- Do you offer discounts on bulk licences?
- How easy is it to install?
- How long does it take to get up and running?
- Can I have it on multiple websites?
- What support is available for licensed users?
- I have paid for my account, how do I set it up?
- Can I control branding of Word-Bank on my website?
- Can I edit my definitions?
- Can I add my own definitions to Word-Bank?
- What support is available?
Which groups benefit from having Word-Bank enabled sites?
- People with learning disabilities and/or autism.
- People speaking English as a second language.
- People with poor literacy skills – the average reading age in the UK being that of an educated 11 year old (BBC).
- Employees with limited basic skills / graphical thinkers.
- Young people and adults in education.
- People new to words specific to an industry or subject, like technical or health terms.
Does Word-Bank help with Public Sector Equality Act compliance?
Word-Bank helps with Equality Act compliance by ensuring the wider public have better access to information.
How accessible is Word-Bank?
- Word-Bank was originally developed against the Royal National Institute of the Blind’s See It Right standards to be accessible for people using screen readers.
- Word-Bank works on mobile devices and all modern browsers. Using Internet Explorer 6 you will see text only definitions, with Internet Explorer 7 you will see definitions with text, images or animations (where available).
- The Disability Rights Commission independently proved Word-Bank aided website comprehension by 100% for people with mild learning disabilities.
- BBC Innovation Lab awarded for being very easy to add to websites and our technological approach.
What’s the user experience?
- Theres no need to download software, just click on the on / off button and it works.
- Once turned on the user clicks on hyperlinks added to difficult language on the page to get definitions at the point of need.
- Word-Bank works on desktops, tablets and smart phones, it makes text heavy information fun to access.
Do you offer discounts on bulk licences?
Yes, see our pricing page for details.
How easy is it to install?
Very easy! Just add Word-Bank linking code to your website template then choose which dictionaries to automate back to your site – kapow!
For added security Word-Bank’s linking code is specific to your websites URL so please make sure that you are consistent e.g. www.mysite.com or mysite.com.
How long does it take to get up and running?
Under 1 hour, some Content Management System take less than others, its depend which one you use.
Can I have it on multiple websites?
You can, but you’ll need an account for each website. This way you can control the branding of each website individually. We also have bulk purchasing options.
What support is available for licensed users?
24/7 email support, you can also call us during office hours.
I have paid for my account, how do I set it up?
Login to your account then select ‘Word-Bank Definitions’ to choose which dictionaries to link back to your website e.g. base dictionary, legislation dictionary and/or clinical dictionary. We will continue to add dictionaries to the system, get in touch if you would like a dictionary added.
Can I control branding for my website?
Yes, once logged into your account go to Your Preferences and click on the Branding tab.
Website visitors can choose to hide the sidebar at anytime or not to show it again by using the chevron or adding a
From the branding tab you can:
- Find the script to pace the Word-Bank on / off text
- Turn on or off the sidebar with the chevron
- Add a layered HTML animation to provide extra clarification that Word-Bank is available and what it does (as above)
- Or choose to have text only in the sidebar (as below)
Can I edit my definitions?
- Login to your account to access quality controlled dictionaries specific to your industry then click View / Edit
- Able to change the text element of the definition then preview your changes
- Choose if to use the definition or not
- Choose which media to link (text, image or animation)
Can I add my own definitions to Word-Bank?
Yes, feel free to contact us if you would like a dictionary added.
- Licensed clients can click on the help button for online support or contact us via email or telephone during office hours.
What to do next
1 Atkins estimate based on the following figures: 10.6m disabled people for 2007/08 (ODI: Disability prevalence estimates, ODI website) and 61.4 million UK overall population as of mid-2008 (ONS: Population estimates. Statistical bulletin, August 2009); makes allowance for the figure of 10.6 million under representing the total number of disabled people.